TUMHC Need Volunteers! Come Make History In 2022!
Crowd assembled at the dedication of the Crain Highway Monument by Governor Albert C. Ritchie,
Main Street, Upper Marlboro, Maryland on September 30, 1922.
Crain Highway connected Southern Maryland to Baltimore. It was completed on October 22, 1927.
Come Make History in 2022!
The Town of Upper Marlboro Historical Committee Needs Volunteers!
In honor of the 100th Anniversary of the Crain Highway Monument, the Town of Upper Marlboro Historical Committee would like to recreate this photo in 2022.
Date of Event: TBD
For More Information or To Join The Planning Committee, Please Contact John Hoatson, Town Clerk: firstname.lastname@example.org or Patti / Brian Callicott, TUMHC: Historic@uppermarlboromd.gov or Call 301-627-6905.
Below is a brief history of the Monument and the Original Event:
Order of formation in the parade for the ceremonies in connection with the monument unveiling at Upper Marlboro on September 30th. Procession will start at Marlboro Station at Pope’s Creek line of the Pennsylvania Railroad promptly at 10:45 A. M.
Below is some of the Transcription of the Original News article of the timeline of events:
- John M. Bowie, Chief Marshal ahorse, and his female aides
- The General Committee and Executive Committee
- Naval Academy Band
- Company “F” at Hyattsville 1stRegiment Maryland national Guard (escort for Governor Ritchie)
- Governor Ritchie
- Admiral Wilson and escort
- Mayor Broening and his escort
- Robert Crain and her 5 county escorts
- John N. Mackall
- Bishop Murray and Archbishop Curley
- Baltimore Sun News Boy’s Band
- The Snyder-Farmer Post, Hyattsville, American Legion
- Charlotte Hall Cadets, (Escort for Southern Maryland Society)
- Robert Crain
- Five County Senators
- Two lady aids ahorse preceding PG County Float
- Charles County Float
- Mary’s County Float
- Anne Arundel County Float
- Calvert County Float
- Automobiles for each County Matrons
Program of the Original Celebration, September 30, 1922
March from Train to monument
Call to order by General Chairman
Invocation by Reverend Frances Edward McManus
Dedication of monument – Chairman of State Roads Commission
Unveiling of Monument by Mrs. Robert Crain
Address by Governor
Address by Mayor
Address by Mr. Robert Crain
Benediction by Rabi Lazaron
Parade to Fairgrounds where lunch will be served
Concert By Band
Introductory Remarks by Presiding Officer
Ceremony of Flags Symbolic of the closer Business and social relations Between Baltimore and Southern Maryland
Special Remarks from President, Merchants and Manufacturers Association
Special remarks by President of the Southern Maryland Society
Moving Pictures with Orchestra