We encourage the participation of all residents of the Town and the greater Upper Marlboro community in our meetings and projects.
Historical Committee Archives and Quarterly Sessions
Town of Upper Marlboro Historical Committee meetings are held on the third Saturday of every month. Volunteers are needed and all are welcome- we hope to see you there!
None scheduled at this time.
A Brief History of Our Town
Chartered in 1706, the Town of Upper Marlboro was named after Winston Churchill's ancestor, the First Duke of Marlborough. According to historians, the town was founded on land belonging to several prominent estates, including Darnall's Chance. Originally a port town located along the Western Branch of the Patuxent River, Upper Marlboro played a prominent role in the sale and shipment of tobacco. Having survived the test of time, Upper Marlboro is one of Maryland's oldest surviving colonial towns.
The older section of the town, comprised of approximately 100 acres, was recently named as a Historic District on the National Historic Register of Historic Places in recognition of its many fine historic residences and buildings. See our walking tour booklet for more information - tumhc_upper_marlboro_walking_tour-booklet.pdf