Town hosts first annual Municipal Government Academy
Do you want to better understand the Town’s operations, services, and programs? Are you serving on any committees and want to know more? The Town’s Municipal Government Academy may be the opportunity you’ve been looking for! We want to foster civic leadership and build a stronger community through well informed and engaged residents.
The vision of the Municipal Government Academy is to foster positive partnerships and the understanding of roles and responsibilities between Town residents’ and their Town government (elected and non-elected members) through civic engagement. The three-session format is designed to inform residents of the different departments and their functionality.
What is the Municipal Government Academy?
The Municipal Government Academy is a 3-week program designed to provide residents of Town the opportunity to learn about the Municipal Government of the Town of Upper Marlboro. The academy gives first-hand exposure to many town departments to highlight their various functions in municipal government.
What is the purpose of the Municipal Government Academy?
The purpose of the Municipal Government Academy is to increase understanding between the Town’s Elected Officials, staff and the residents of the Town. With an increased understanding, residents and Town Officials can partner together to better understand local municipal government.
When is the Academy?
The Municipal Government Academy begins the first Wednesday in November for Municipal Government Works Month.
Who is eligible to participate in the Municipal Government Academy?
The Municipal Government Academy is a course specifically designed for residents who are active in the community, who wish to learn more about municipal government and who have never held an elected position in the Town. In order to be eligible for the program, you must be a resident of the Town of Upper Marlboro.
What is the Program Description?
- The Municipal Government Academy will be held on Wednesday evenings from 7:00pm to 8:30pm.
- Each week will feature a different department and resident committee.
- During these sessions, participants interact firsthand with Town department heads and other residents to learn about the day to day operations and take part in breakout activities.
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Committed to attending every session to the best of your ability and arriving on time.
- Class size will be limited to 15 - 20 participants.
SCHEDULE & ITINERARY
Session One – Wednesday, November 6, 2019
- Intro / Ice Breaker
- Expectations of the Academy
- Preserving our History - Historical Committee
- Meet the Mayor
Session Two – Wednesday, November 13, 2019
- Meet the Commissioner/Treasurer
- Holding it all together – Meet the Clerk’s Office
- Dollars and Sense - Financial Services - Meet the Finance Director
- Something for Everyone - Events Committee
Session Three– Wednesday, November 20, 2019
- Meet the Commissioner – Kia Bernal-LeClaire
- Keeping Residents Safe - Public Safety- Meet the Chief of Police
- Keeping it Clean - Public Works – Meet the Superintendent
- Blazing the trail – MVFD – Meet the Chief
- Being Prepared - CERT Team
- Congratulation ceremony- Presentation of certificates
* Invite to return for Building for Tomorrow/ Love where you live Community Engagement Dialogue
If you have any questions, or if you are interested in registering for The Municipal Government Academy, please email Town Offices at Info@UpperMarlboroMD.gov or call us at 301-627-6905.
The Town of Upper Marlboro is hosting this academy in conjunction with the Maryland Municipal League's Municipal Government Works Month. The Maryland Municipal League (MML) works both with our member cities and towns and on their behalf to educate citizens and students about Maryland municipal government.